Firebolt by Adrienne Woods

18305603Dragons. Right. Teenage girls don’t believe in fairy tales, and sixteen-year old Elena Watkins was no different.
Until the night a fairy tale killed her father.
Now Elena’s in a new world, and a new school. The cutest guy around may be an evil dragon, a Prince wants Elena’s heart, and a long dead sorcerer may be waking up to kill her. Oh. And the only way Elena’s going to graduate is on the back of a dragon of her own.
Teenage girls don’t believe in fairy tales. Now it’s time for Elena to believe – in herself.














---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                                                                      Rating:  4 of 5 stars
                                                                                      Series book: Yes 
                                                                                      Will I read the Next: Yes

This book is fantastic. Not perfect, but still fantastic. It's all about this girl Elena (PRINCESS NAME! Am I the only one who sees that. Foreshadowing, I swear it must be foreshadowing!) who finds out her dad is a dragon, then he gets killed by another dragon, and then she goes to this hogwarts-like school, but instead of being all about being wizards it's about becoming a dragonian. A dragonian is a warrior/fighter that, well, rides dragons. And bonds with a dragon. It's a really cool concept that I was skeptical of at first but then I started and I'm just like "holy crapola this is the bomb.com." It got me out of my MAJOR book slump and is definitely worth the read.

There were a few problems with this book, the plot being one of them. There was nothing big wrong with the plot except for the fact that the blurb/synopsis promised some things that didn't really happen. Well one thing really, really bothered me but I don't know it wasn't exactly "promised" it's just that--- Okay. "and a long dead sorcerer may be waking up to kill her." Does that not make you think that the book would spend some time explaining why this "long dead sorcerer"(who isn't dead by the way) is trying to kill her? But noo there was all of two sentences about her and this sorcerer. And then there was the fact that there was no excitement up until the end. It was like every chapter you expected something big and then you turned the page and its like description
And yet...I couldn't stop reading.

Writing. Two things. One: the transitions weren't exactly seamless. Two: There was just one time where she used the word "literally" wrong and I end of twitching on the floor like description but thats just me being insane. About those transitions... It messed up my sense of time book-wise. One minute it could be Tuesday, the next it could either be next week or Tuesday night. It was kind of confusing and disorientating as well as hard to ignore as it contentiously happened throughout the book. THAT. That was almost enough for me to put the book down. Otherwise I wouldn't say the writing was amazing, but it wasn't awful either.

On a scale of 1 to 10 for Elena's strength as a character, 1 being Bella(Twilight) and 10 being Alex(Covenant Series), Elena is a solid 3 for most of the book and a spike to a 7 at the climax. Elena was always crying, always saying how she was gonna go insane, always questioning everything. I always thought that an ideal main character was a strong one. NOT ELENA. NOT UNTIL THE VERY END. It's so annoying to read this same thing over and over again: "my lip trembled." Omigosh. I just wanted to yell at Elena to SUCK IT UP. Not everything is cry worthy. good Lord. Moving on. I want more of Blake. He could have some depth. But he wasn't really in the book much. Well, not in person. She thought about him non-stop and every glance was so emotional for her... My favorite character would probably be between Sammy and Becky. They're those kind of insta-besties every girl should have. Extremely talkative, funny, and very supportive they were the glue that held the book together.

And finally the romance. I expected a love triangle. There was no such thing, although I suspect there will be one later on in the series. Prince Charming aka Prince Lucian Mckensie. Literally the perfect guy and Elena fell for him head over heels. Like, the have barely dated at all and they're already in love and Elena "can't imagine life without him." Can you say clingy? I mean I can understand if after a while you felt that way, but this was a insta-love kind of thing and I absolutely hate insta-love. That rant aside the romance was super sweet and incredibly gushy and I loved it, I just wish it hadn't happened so quickly.

SUMMARY OF REVIEW(In case you don't actually feel like reading the review):
Writing: 3 out of 5
Plot: 4 out of 5
characters: 4 out of 5
Romance: 4 out of 5
Overall: 4 out of 5
PG-13 Sex, maidens, and virginity is mentioned often throughout the book

2 comments:

  1. This was one of the best reviews I ever got, thank you so much. You have no idea how much I appreciate your honest opinion. I promise she buffed up in book two. hehehe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can I just fangirl for a minute and say...you're an author. And and read my review. And you liked it! *insert squel* fangirling aside, I loved loved loved your book and I eagerly await the next one!

      Delete